Sunday, April 17, 2011

Irish Beef and Stout Stew

I bought a 6-pack of Guinness to make a St. Patrick’s day dinner and decided to look for more recipes to use Guinness as an ingredient. I found this recipe from Martha Stewart. It was perfect since I have a grass fed beef roast sitting in my freezer from the 1/16th of a cow I purchased. I changed a little bit of the recipe. Instead of using store bought broth, I used my homemade beef broth. Also, I used my slow cooker to make this dish so I would have food ready when I got home from work.


Ingredients
* 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
* 4 cup homemade beef broth
* 4 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
* 2 1/2 pounds new potatoes, scrubbed
* 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 10 garlic cloves, sliced
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
* 1/2 pound baby carrots
* 1 bottle Guinness

Directions
1) Mix the tomato paste and broth. Put the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker. Then add the broth mix. Turn slow cooker on and use high setting to cook for 5-6 hours or use low setting to cook for 8-9 hours.
2) Serve hot and season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment