Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Lentil Balls

Having a toddler in the house do help me to be creative on my dinner planning.  I always want Little S to eat more fruit and vegetables but of course I have a son that will not eat them. That definitely challenge my cooking skills even more and I am kind of loving this challenge. That way I can create meals that substitute foods loaded with carbohydrate and meat to something high in fruit and vegetables. 

Little S like meatballs, also he eats better with finger foods so I always think of things to make that shape like meatballs to trick him. 

I am new to lentil. I never really liked it until this year, my new year resolution is to eat more lentil. I usually sees recipes using lentil are in curry, which, they are delicious, but I wanted to make something that is toddler friendly and Little S can feed himself. So we have this Lentil Balls!


















Ingredients
3 cups lentils, cooked (about 1 cup dry)
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for serving
½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
clove garlic, finely chopped
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ cup bread crumbs
kosher salt and black pepper

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400F.
2)    In a food processor, puree half of the cooked lentils with the cilantro, parsley, garlic, and cumin until nearly smooth. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the bread crumbs, the remaining lentils, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Form into sixteen ½-inch-thick patties.
3).    Bake lentil balls in the oven for 15 minutes, flip to the other side and bake for 10-15 more minutes until the balls are firm.
4)    Enjoy the lentil balls on salad or have them in pita bread adding yogurt and cabbage slaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment