Sunday, March 20, 2011

St. Patrick’s day celebration: Slow cook brisket with vegetables

A couple of days before St. Patrick’s day, asked around to find out what I should cook to honor the Irish holiday. Corned beef and cabbage was the hands down winner. I was looking all over the internet to see how I can make corned beef from scratch. From Martha Stewart Corned Beef recipe, I would need to cured the meat for about 3-6 days before the day of cooking. I didn’t want to buy store-bought high nitrate cured meat, so I decided to make uncured brisket instead and added some Irish stout to the recipe. The Irish Stout added sweetness into the brisket.

Now that I know I need time to cured the meat, I will plan ahead of time next year to make this Irish tradition on St. Patrick’s day.


Ingredients
*2 pound brisket
*2 tablespoon peppercorn
*2 bay leafs
*10 cloves garlic
*12-14 oz stout(I used Guinness draught)
*2 homemade beef broth
* ½ cabbage
*1/2 pound carrots
*3 cups potatoes
*salt

Directions
1) In a slow cooker, add brisket, peppercorn, bay leafs, garlic, stout and beef broth. Cook in high heat for 3 hours or low heat for 5 hours.
2) Add vegetables, and cook for high heat for 3 more hours or low heat for 4 more hours.
3) Serve hot. Add salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment