Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Walrus and the Carpenter restaurant review

Mr. S and I love to try out new restaurants.  He came across this new restaurant located in Ballard called The Walrus and the Carpenter which was featured in the January issue of GQ (Read article here).  If you enter through Ballard Ave, you will walk through a little ally way by the bike shop to get the petit restaurant.  The decor is pain and the staff are very nice.  I really liked their open kitchen which allows you to see the staff cracking the oysters.  This lets you know they are very fresh!

We ordered:
* Half dozen oysters
* Butter and bread
* Steak tartare, farm egg yolk & toast



Yes, steak tartare.  It was our first time trying raw ground beef.  I have had Ahi tuna or Salmon tartare many times, but have never tried steak tartare.  I thought the flavor wasn't as good as tuna tartare, but the texture was similar, so on the whole, I thought it was pretty good.

The oysters tasted fresh and sweet.  They came with 3 different sauces to try the oysters with; garlic vinegar, horseradish, and lemon.  I prefer lemon!

My overall review is 4.5 stars out of 5. The -0.5 is the price of food.

2 comments:

  1. The concept of steak tartare is nasty, but the butter and bread look good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! I will need to convince Mr. W to check this place out. :)

    ReplyDelete