Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Homemade Sauerkraut Part II

It is time to report the progress of the Sauerkraut. I started the fermentation about 1 and a half weeks ago, you can find the recipe here. Due to the cold weather in Seattle, my house's temperature has been probably around 60 degrees, so the fermentation took a little longer than most of the books recommended. Honestly, I think the best way to know if the kraut is done is to taste it yourself. Also, some people might like it more sour and some people might like it more mild. I have my in home tasting judge Mr. S to ensure the quality meets our standards before bottling it.

I put a pot filled with water on top of a plate as a weight to create a brine.


The color of the brine and the cabbage got darker. It turned into light dark yellow.

I put some of the kraut juice into the bottle as well. Enjoy the delicious natural probiotics!

No comments:

Post a Comment