Thursday, July 7, 2011

Homemade Sauerkraut

I have been in a ‘homemade’ mood lately. First, it was the Kombucha, then the u-pick organic strawberries and waiting to make jam, and now, I am making sauerkraut. Last year, I attempted to make my own sauerkraut but it ended up too salty. This year, I want to try it again. I was waiting for the summer to come, so I could get some in season organic cabbage from the local farm. I got a box of Full Circle produce this week and it included cabbage.
Recipe is modified from Nourishing Tradition

Ingredients

1 medium cabbage, cored and shredded
1 tablespoon sea salt (I use Redmond Real Salt)

Tools

a meat hammer

Directions

1) In a bowl, mix cabbage with sea salt. Pound with a meat hammer for about 10 minutes to release juices.



2) Place the cabbage in a mixing bowl and press down using a weight on a plate until juices come to the top of the cabbage. Keep at room temperature for about 3 days before transferring to cold storage.

I will report on how it turned out in 3 days. So excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment