Thursday, June 3, 2010

Chicken Cacciatore


I got the idea from Ellie Krieger of food network recipe. Instead of using 4 chicken breasts, I used 1 and sliced it so we would not eat too much meat. And I also put more veggies into the dish, because I got some vegetables from the organic farm share that I needed to finish. Finally, I used my non-stick pan, so I didn't need to use oil!

Here you go!

Ingredients
* 1 skinless chicken breast, sliced
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
* 2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
* 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
* 1/2 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole tomatoes in juice, chopped and juice reserved
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more to taste

Directions
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the pan over moderately-high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides, about 3 minutes. Remove the chicken.
3. Reduce the heat to moderate. Add the onion and pepper, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cucumber and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to brown. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the wine and cook until reduced by half. Add the tomatoes and juice, oregano, red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and simmer the mixture covered for 10 minutes.
4. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer.

3 comments:

  1. I could eat that. How did your husband handle the mushrooms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, as you know, Mr. S didn't eat the mushrooms, neither the cucumber. After I took the picture, I picked all the foods that he wouldn't eat out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Matt, you know me so well.

    ReplyDelete