Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Mid-2010 resolution -- Eating REAL food

My REAL food journey began back when I was in college. I started to choose whole wheat products (whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, and brown rice). Then when I started working, I became interested in organic foods, because they have no additives, GMOs, colorings and pesticides. I would choose pastured animals instead of conventional animal meat.

I opened my pantry the other day, and thought, most of the seasoning that I have been using are processed and refine. So I decided to start a 'mid-2010 resolution' to find some healthier version seasoning and started with sugar.

Walking into a grocery store baking isle, most of the sugar products are refine and bleached.
* White sugar - bleached evaporated cane sugar.
* Brown sugar - refined white sugar with a molasses syrup mixed in, then dried again.
* Raw sugar - sugar cane juice mix with lime and turned into sugar crystal.
* Honey and maple syrup - most common least refined and most natural sugar.
* Organic sugar - same as white/brown sugar, but without GMO.

I am still in the middle of my research, and I got a lot of support from a very good friends of mine, CC. She is also a dietitian, working in an out-patient setting. CC recommended that I look into rapadura, which is an organic unrefined and unbleached whole cane sugar. I searched through a couple of places and the cost range between $4.4 to $5.99 per 24 oz. I am planning to get some soon and will update my experience with the new find! Stay tuned.

PS. Please do not hesitate to leave comments and suggests!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea, I still need to go through my pantry also so I am not tempted when I am in a rush to get dinner ready! Here is a link I found that has a homemade creamed soup recipe instead of all those condensed ones filled with MSG and other additives like you talked about. http://www.marilynmoll.com/2008/03/top-tips-for-busy-homemakers/
    -CC

    ReplyDelete