Sunday, August 29, 2010

Making jam with honey

To achieve my New Year's resolution of eating real food, I decided to make jam using raw honey. The reason I chose to use raw honey was its real food! It has not been pasteurized, clarified, or filtered. It is of the highest organic quality and is your best choice. While regular honey is translucent, natural honey is creamy and usually opaque. It is made by turning finely crystallized honey back into liquid honey.



To make the jam jell, I used pectin. My friend CC recommended that I use Pomona's Universal Pectin because it with allow me to make jam with honey. Calcium water is required to activate the pectin. Compared to the recipe that I used last time, I only used 2 teaspoons of pectin to this recipe instead of a whole box from Sure Jell.




Ingredient

4 cup strawberry
1/2 cup raw honey
2 teaspoons pectin
2 teaspoons calcium water(See below for recipe; Calcium powder comes with pectin)

Preperation

1) Put 1/2t white calcium powder and 1/2C water in a small, clear jar with lid.
2) Slightly mash strawberries. Put 2 teaspoons of calcium water in strawberry mix. Store the remaining calcium water in refrigerator for future use.
3) In another bowl, mix 2 teaspoons of pectin with 1/2 cup honey.
4) Bring fruit to boil, add honey-pectin mix and stir vigorously 1-2 min. While cooking to dissolve pectin. Return to boil and remove from heat.
5) Fill jars to 1/4" of top. Wipe rims clean. Screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover. Boil 10 min. (add 1 min. more for every 1,000 ft. above sea level). Remove from water. Let jars cool. Check seals–lids should be sucked down. Lasts about 3 weeks once opened.

*Instruction is from Pomona's recipe.

2 comments: