Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mr. S Birthday Feast -- Butternet Squash, Leek, and Apple Soup

If you love creamy soups, I would recommend that you to make this soup. The texture of butternut squash soup is always thick, just like a cream soup. I always like to put leeks into soup to bring out the sweetness of the vegetables, then I can use less salt. A lot of the time, when we use store bought broth, they are loaded with sodium. I made some turkey broth a while ago and froze them for later use. So for this soup I used my homemade turkey broth, without added salt, and it tasted great!

The other benefit of this soup is that it will increase your vegetable intake before your main meal. So you will feel full before having other food which will decrease your calorie consumption.

In the earlier post, I mentioned I made this soup in the slow cooker so I would have this soup ready before I started to prepare the Birthday Feast. I prepared all the ingredients the night before and turned on the slow cooker in the morning before I left for work.


Ingredients
*1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
*2 cups leeks, sliced
*2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
*4 cups turkey or chicken broth
*1 cup water
*salt and pepper
*1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes


Directions

1) Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low for 6-6 ½ hours or 3-4 on High.
2) Puree soup in food processor.
3) Cook on High for an additional 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment