Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sweet and Sour Chicken

When I was a kid, whenever we went out to eat my parents would order my favorite Chinese dish, sweet and sour pork! Even now I order sweet and sour pork or chicken when ever I go to a Chinese restaurant. I am glad that Mr. S also loves sweet and sour pork/chicken as much as I do.

One of the rules of the 'S' household is 'no deep fried food will be prepared in this kitchen!' I have been using my oven to make food that looks and feels like it was deep fried and tastes as good as deep fried food. You can apply to this skill to all deep fried recipes and try to make your home made meals healthier.

Also, I suggest making this dish with fresh pineapple. It gives the dish more flavor and it is healthier since you will not be eating the syrup or salt water that the pineapple is soaked in. Also, its super fresh!


Ingredients
*1 piece chicken breast, cut into bite size
*salt and pepper
*1 egg, beaten
*1/2 cup flour
*3 tablespoon vinegar
*3 tablespoon water
*1 tablespoon sugar
*2 teaspoons cornstarch
*1 tablespoon ketchup
*1 teaspoon oil
*1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
*1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
*1/4 fresh pineapple, cut into 1 inch pieces

Directions
1) Turn oven on to 425F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In 2 separate bowls, put in beaten egg and flour. Put one piece of chicken into beaten egg then coat with flour. Put coated chicken pieces on greased baking sheet. Repeat until all chicken pieces are coated with egg and flour. Bake for about 20 minutes or until chicken pieces look golden.
2) In a small bowl, mix vinegar, water, sugar, cornstarch and ketchup. Set aside.
3) Heat skillet in high heat, add oil, stir in bell pepper and pineapple for 3 minutes. Add chicken, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add prepared sauce and stir for 1 minute. Serve over rice.

1 comment:

  1. Bonnie McBon Bon, I'm reading your blog right now and its making me so hungry. Had Lo Mein for lunch, but I'm already hungry again!

    ReplyDelete